I am a Postdoc in the Ocean Biogeochemistry group, currently working in topics related to the Arctic carbon cycle, using global ocean and Earth system models of various resolutions (km-scale) as tools.
I have a background in Environmental (BSc) and Biosystems Engineering with a focus on Meteorology (MSc), and Earth System Science (PhD). Thesis: "An Earth system modelling perspective on Arctic coastal erosion under climate change" [Thesis PDF]
Projects I am/was involved in:
- CLICCS A5: The Land-Ocean Transition Zone
- CLICCS A1: Carbon Dynamics in the Arctic
- CLICCS A6: Earth System Variability and Predictability
- EU Horizon 2020 Nunataryuk: Coastal permafrost research, combining modelling and socio-economic analysis, from local communities to the pan-Arctic scale.
- Barkhordarian A, Nielsen DM and Baehr J. (2022) Recent marine heatwaves in the North Pacific warming pool can be attributed to rising atmospheric levels of greenhouse gases. Communications Earth & Environment, https://doi.org/10.1038/s43247-022-00461-2
- Nielsen DM, Pieper P, Barkhordarian A, Overduin PP, Ilyina T, Brovkin V, Baehr J and Dobrynin M. (2022) Increase in Arctic coastal erosion and its sensitivity to warming in the twenty-first century, Nature Climate Change, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41558-022-01281-0
- Brune S, Espejo MC, Nielsen DM, Hongmei L, Ilyina T and Baehr J. (2021) Oceanic Rossby waves drive inter-annual predictability of net primary production in the central tropical Pacific. Environmental Research Letters, https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ac43e1
- Nielsen DM, Dobrynin M, Baehr J, Razumov S and Grigoriev M. (2020) Coastal erosion variability at the southern Laptev Sea linked to winter sea ice and the Arctic Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019GL086876.
- Featured in EOS as Editor's Highlight
- Nielsen DM, Belém AL, Marton E. and Cataldi, M. (2019) Dynamics-based regression models for the South Atlantic Convergence Zone. Climate Dynamics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-018-4460-4
- Nielsen DM, Cataldi M, Belém AL and Albuquerque ALS. (2016) Local indices for the South American monsoon system and its impacts on Southeast Brazilian precipitation patterns. Natural Hazards, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-016-2355-4
- Nielsen DM (2022). An Earth system modelling perspective on Arctic coastal erosion under climate change. PhD Thesis, Universität Hamburg, Hamburg. https://doi.org/10.17617/2.3390318 [PDF]
- Nielsen DM, Pieper P, Barkhordarian A, Overduin PP, Ilyina T, Brovkin V, Baehr J and Dobrynin M. (2022) Arctic coastal erosion accelerates permafrost carbon loss: uncertainties and impacts. Springer Nature Sustainability Community - Behind the Paper. https://go.nature.com/34fl2p5